How to manage hand dermatitis when there’s a viral pandemic and we are washing our hands frequently…
Good hand washing hygiene is more important now than ever before. It is important that you wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds:
* After coming into contact with anyone who is unwell
* After going to the supermarket or any public place
* After going to the bathroom
* Before eating
All this hand washing is one of the key ways to prevent the spread of coronavirus. However, it does frequently cause dryness, skin irritation and in some this leads to hand dermatitis.
How to avoid and/or treat hand dermatitis, a few simple steps…
1. Use a pH balanced hand wash.
2. Moisturise your hands after each time you wash.
3. Use gloves when washing dishes or coming into contact with water for prolonged times.
4. Keep skin clean and dry under rings, or remove rings if dermatitis is occurring in this area.
5. See your GP or skin doctor for prescribed medications if your symptoms are severe. Telehealth for this type of consultation can be arranged.
Ingredients to avoid when purchasing hand wash or hand lotion…
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
- These foaming agents are one of the main ingredients in your hands soaps that will dry out and further irritate your skin.
- Commonly found in hand wash and cream products as a preservative unfortunately it is made up of formaldehyde and sodium cyanide which are known carcinogens.
Cocamide DEA, TEA & MEA
- Used to thicken products however are all known hormone disrupting chemicals.
- Gives the illusion of hydration due to oily nature however can disrupt skins natural process such as cell turn over, nutrient absorption and toxin release due to the ‘cling wrap effect’.
Artificial colours, D&C or FD&C dyes
- Can penetrate the skin due to small particle size and cause irritation
- Commonly cause skin irritation, allergy and sensitivity.
Added chemical absorbing sunscreen/organic sunscreen
- Added into hand lotions for sun protection however may cause skin irritation and allergy. Low molecular weight means it is able to be absorbed into the blood stream, known to possible disrupt hormones and cause photosensitivity.
PEG’S (Polyethylene glycol)
- Potential skin irritant may allow penetration of undesirable additives.
- Solvent, hydrator and penetration enhancer however has been a known skin irritant.
Parabens and other artificial preservatives
- Some necessary to prevent microbial contamination in skin care however has been linked to many allergies’ skin irritations and various health concerns
- Has been linked to various health concerns such as skin irritation and hormonal disruptions, this ingredient Dibutyl pthalate is even banned in the EU.
SLS (Sodium laureth sulphate)
- A very common foaming agent in cleansers, shampoos, hand a body wash. A well-known irritant to the skin and eyes in high concentrations.
Top products to care for your hands that can be purchased from GVSL…
Synergie Hand ResQ
This sophisticated, non-greasy hand lotion is a must for those dry hands and cuticles. Hand ResQ can be used every day as often as necessary, after washing your hands. This product is not your run of the mill hand cream, it will offer quicker and longer lasting results when treating severely dry hands.
Hand ResQ contains active levels of Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) an essential ingredient for increasing the production of the skin’s natural ceramides which protects the skin from moisture loss.
Synergie Hand ResQ also contains ingredients high in antioxidants such as, honey and meadowfoam oil.
These vital ingredients are extremely moisturising and soothing on the skin and resemble our own natural skin oils to both protect and be rapidly absorbed by our hands. This results in a more hydrated, evenly toned, and youthful appearance to the skin.
Synergie Recover Balm
- A great product for all ages to treat active dermatitis, when skin is broken and sore. Recover Balm is a potent antimicrobial balm to repair and soothe impaired skin. Containing a nurturing blend of naturally derived ingredients and botanical extracts, this balm is designed to calm and reduce irritation for itchy and dry skin.
- The #1 ingredient in this product is, propolis made by the worker bees. Bees use propolis to build, repair, and strengthen the hive. They seal openings with it, forming a barrier against pathogens thanks to antimicrobial properties. Applied to the skin, propolis extract effectively scavenges free radicals, protects from photo-induced oxidative stress and visibly fills and smooths wrinkles, fine lines and broken skin.
Blackcurrant Seed Extract
- A powerful anti-inflammatory that calms and regenerates damaged skin all whilst protecting the skin barrier from environmental aggression.
Sea Buckthorn Oil
- Rich in vitamins A, E, C and K reduces inflammation and skin redness.
Castor Bean Oil
- Vegetable-based oil containing 90% ricinoleic acid, an unusual fatty acid that inhibits the growth of many viruses, bacteria, yeasts, and moulds, it reduces inflammation and increases skin immunity.
- Helps retain the skin’s natural moisture content.
Lavender Essential Oil
- One of the gentlest essential oils to calm skin, it is also a powerful antibacterial agent to protect skin from infection.
- An occlusive skin balm ideal for soothing irritated, flaking and stressed skin, including but not limited to eczema and dermatitis. This product is a natural barrier alternative to petroleum. Apply to areas of broken, open skin to ensure skin is occluded from environmental irritants.
- An active ingredient designed to protect, calm and hydrate damaged skin.
- A pure concentrate rich in antioxidants, vitamins and nutrients that reduces the appearance of dry, stressed skin. It is a powerful and effective skin supplement proven to boost the immune system and help treat all inflammatory skin conditions.
- A plant-derived ingredient from chamomile. A powerful anti-inflammatory that will help soothe and calm irritated skin.
Caster Bean Oil and Lavender essential oil
- Inhibit bacteria and calm the skin.
Geelong Veins Skin & Laser wish all our clients good health throughout the pandemic, please remember to wash your hands and support each other during this time.